Machine Learning Engineer II, ML (Credit Decisioning)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Join the Affirm team as a Software Engineer II and contribute to the success of our ML Underwriting team. We are the driving force behind Affirm's core value proposition, leveraging cutting-edge machine learning to assess creditworthiness throughout the life cycle of loan applications.
As a Software Engineer on our team, you will be at the forefront of developing high-quality, production-ready models that play a central role in our decision-making processes. Your contributions will be instrumental in shaping our financial landscape. If you have a strong interest in machine learning and enjoy challenging work, Affirm is the place for you!
What you'll do
- Use Affirm’s proprietary and other third party data to develop machine learning models that predict the likelihood of default and make an approval or decline decision to achieve business objectives
- Partner with platform and product engineering teams to build model training, decisioning, and monitoring systems
- Research ground breaking solutions and develop prototypes that drive the future of credit decisioning at Affirm
- Implement and scale data pipelines, new features, and algorithms that are essential to our production models
- Collaborate with the engineering, credit, and product teams to define requirements for new products
What we look for
- 1+ years of experience as a machine learning engineer or PhD in a relevant field
- Proficiency in machine learning with experience in areas such as Generalized Linear Models, Gradient Boosting, Deep Learning, and Probabilistic Calibration. Domain knowledge in credit risk is a plus
- Strong engineering skills in Python and data manipulation skills like SQL
- Experience using large scale distributed systems like Spark or Ray
- Experience using open source projects and software such as scikit-learn, pandas, NumPy, XGBoost, Kubeflow is a plus
- Experience developing machine learning models at scale from inception to business impact
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the capability to drive cross-functional requirements with product and engineering teams
- The ability to present technical concepts and results in an audience-appropriate way
- Persistence, patience and a strong sense of responsibility – we build the decision making that enables consumers and partners to place their trust in Affirm!
Pay Grade - CAN 29
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
CAN base pay range per year:
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.