Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Repayment UX)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Repayment UX Engineering team is growing and looking for a Senior Software Engineer specializing in Backend development. We’re a full-stack engineering team located entirely in Poland. We build and own user flows that enable over 15 million consumers to repay loans worth over $20B each year. We continuously innovate to make the flow more user-friendly, more effective, and adapt to the needs of our rapidly expanding business. Our work is agile and fast-paced, shipping new code to production almost every two-week sprint, and rigorously measuring the impact it has on the behavior of our users.
This role requires a high level of technical capability, strong cross-functional communication, and a creative mindset. There’s a very high degree of ownership in the role: you will know precisely what your objectives are, you’ll get everything you need to achieve those objectives, and you’ll be free to choose your own path to reach them. You’ll have the opportunity to share your knowledge with others, and learn from very experienced teammates and collaborators. Come join us!
What You'll Do
- Contribute to the design and implementation of large scale and low latency services, elegant abstractions, shareable libraries, and robust APIs.
- Influence strategic and tactical decisions related to our product, platform and success metrics.
- Identify stakeholders, gather their needs and opinions, advocate for ideas and initiatives, and create a common understanding where all voices are heard.
- Partner with engineers, other engineering teams and third-party vendors to develop reliable and scalable solutions to a wide range of problems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners like product managers, designers and analysts to deliver an outstanding, high quality experience to our users. The vast majority of people you’ll interact with day to day are located in a compatible timezone.
- Lead and mentor engineers to help them succeed and grow. Provide them with the right context and train them to take ownership of their respective pieces of our initiatives.
- Review others’ work and provide reinforcing and constructive feedback to meet our high quality standards.
- Write high-quality code that can be easily understood and leveraged by others.
- Rigorously test the code we write as a team and support it as part of a sustainable on-call rotation.
- Take active part in improving our processes, flow of information and work culture.
- Conduct technical and soft skill evaluations to inform and influence our hiring decisions. Develop and review the technical content and requirements of the interview process.
What We Look For
- 5+ years of software engineering experience shipping production-quality backend services
- Proven knowledge of backend languages, tooling and design patterns (e.g: Python, Flask, Kotlin, AWS, MySQL, Airflow, REST, RPC, or others)
- Humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown (ambiguous problems, unfamiliar technologies)
- A track record of influencing other peoples’ work through architecture design, code review, cross-functional collaboration, domain expertise, coaching other engineers, or other means
- Prior experience building, launching and maintaining complex systems
- Prior experience collaborating with mobile and/or web frontend software engineers. Experience leading full-stack projects is a plus
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills in English
Compensation & Benefits
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Pay Grade - ESP30
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
ESP base pay range per year:
We are able to offer visa sponsorship for this role, but do require that someone is based in Spain for the role.
Location - Remote Spain
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.